Closet Purge


Over the past year, I have been dabbling in the world of minimalism, especially in regards to my wardrobe. Like many people, I felt overwhelmed with stuff, but still felt as though I has nothing to wear. I had my handful of favorite clothing pieces that I kept in rotation and everything else was just in the way. I realized that I didn't need all these things that I didn't use and didn't make me happy. Purging my wardrobe of everything I didn't use made life easier.

I can be overwhelming at first, but I now love purging my closet and I tend to do it pretty regularly-once a month. If you aren’t someone who loves purging your things, once a season is plenty. It will allow you to see what you have reached for and what remains untouched each season. For all the items you don't love or use, think about donating them to a local charity or hosting a clothing swap party with some friends who might love your clothes and give them a great new home! For every item I evaluate, these are the questions that I ask myself to help let go and put things in perspective.

When was the last time I wore it?
If you haven’t worn it in the past year (or you can’t even remember the last time you wore it), you probably don’t need it or won’t miss it.

How did I feel in it?
If you reach for an item just to put it on and take it right off, let it go. You should only have items that make you look and feel great.

Do I love it?
You should love every item in your wardrobe, whether you love the way it looks, the way it fits, or the way it makes you feel. If you love it, you will wear it.

Am I only keeping this out of guilt?
This was a big one that helps me. I tend to keep things because they were a gift or they cost a lot of money. Detach yourself from all guilt. Don’t think of how much you spent on the item or that it was a gift.  You will not make that money back by keeping it in your closet and someone else can get more use out of it if you sell or donate it.

What are some of your tips for letting go of things and decluttering?

Thanks for reading!
xo, Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment